<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

It’s a bit late, but watched the NRL grand final the other week – or at least the second half of it. Was a brilliant game. Better than the Rugby World Cup any day. When I got there the panthers were up 6-0 –nice work fellas – but within a few minutes the roosters caught up. I was spewing. That’s the sort of thing that always happens to me. The Broncos were beating the panthers in the quarter final until I sat down and then it was try-try-try. Anyway, I’d been supporting the panthers (after the Broncos of course) all year, as they were packed with great players, great coach and had such a pathetic record – last and third last in 2001, 2002. I thought they were under-rated, but didn’t think they’d go this far. I always like cheering for the underdog.

Anyway, the game turned into a cracker. Six all, and the evil roosters were throwing everything they had at the panthers. Then in the space of about ten minutes it all went downhill. Ryan girdler goes off injured, not to turn. Ouch. One of their wingers – I think it was Luke Lewis, ditto. Then Martin Lang does one of his trademark runs and is whacked by Adrian Morley so hard I couldn’t see him get up again. When he did he had a massive cut and went off the field. 20 mins to go, three players down and the roosters were playing brilliantly. My first thought – the panthers have no chance against the defending premiers. Second thought – nah – that’s the sort of situation dreams are made out of, ballads sung about and movies made out of.

Suddenly Byrne gets an intercept and starts running down toward the panthers line, when Scott Sattler – older than me! - runs across the field, catches up and tackles him into touch. Commentators won’t shut up about that one for years. Then Priddis does this brilliant dive at the goal that noone expected and scores. Next minute I’m running around the house, waking Ruth up and telling her that the panthers were up, Priddis was a Bronco (so really it would be a Bronco victory!) and that he was also in my fantasy NRL team. The you see Lang out there again hitting the ball up, ignoring his oain. Crazy. A few minutes later, everyone was expecting a field goal, and Priddis comes up again with an amazing pass that sends Rooney to score, seal the victory, win a premiership and secure the MotM award to Priddis. One of the best games I’ve seen for ages. Notch one up for the underdogs. When things are looking grimmest, look out!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?